Somewhere in January there is a day made for inspiring people to clear their messy desks.
Cat and Pig confront a messy desk table - what will they do? They may need a list of ideas for how the might move on!
I like this article which may give me some peace of mind on the issue..
Ideas for tackling messy desk table: 1/12/19, 12:19 PM, CK
Not necessarily in priority order.
- Take a 'before' picture
- Set a timer
- Throw everything into a catchall box
- Use clear plastic bags to separate or sort the stuff
- Cull the garbage you really don't want
- Pull out the good stuff and sort that
- Make designs and art type pieces out of the trash
- Gather the scrap paper and bind up into figures
- Inventory of the contents and write it as you go on a piece of paper. Make copies of this sheet one for the box, one for a binder
- Keep a running list of tasks related to the box that you'd like to do at some point.
- Keep a running list of tasks that you need to do as the next actions.
- Write up several two minute next steps
- Take pictures of the box contents
- Seal up or archive that box - as per Andy Warhol.
- Make up a story about the box contents
- Turn the whole thing into a story or study or journal entry
- Document process
- Show off your progress
- Commit ahead of time to someone of whatever steps you intend to take and report back after you've done it
- Get a buddy to do this with you in person
- Get a buddy to do this at the same time you are doing it.
- Try to do something just to improve the situation a little bit
- Make a list of such possibilities small improvements you can make. That you are willing to do
- Keep a list of what you have done
- Find a way to reward the small steps that you accomplish and celebrate at certain milestones that you designate ahead of time, or not